Course Code and Name: AST310 Solar Physics
Course Content: To give the knowledge about our Sun as a star: basic, physical and chemical properties; internal and atmospheric structure; solar activity phenomena and effects to the Earth. Dersin İçeriği (İngilizce) Basic Solar properties, the energy output of the Sun, Solar constant. Solar spectrum. The photosphere of the Sun and limb darkening. The Sun as a star: The atmosphere and interior of the Sun. Thermonuclear reactions for energy production in the Sun, Solar neutrino. Heliographic coordinates of the sunspots. Sunspots and the rotation of the Sun, SOHO observation. Classification, development and magnetic properties of sunspots. Solar activity: Photospheric phenomenae, the sunspot cycle. Butterfly diagram, the Maunder minimum. The Solar magnetic field, the Babcock model. Chromosphere of the Sun and chromospheric activity. Corona, coronal structure of the Sun, coronal X-ray emission, solar radio observations. Influence of the Solar activities, Brief discussion on evolution of the Sun.
Credits: National: 2 (2,0,0) – ECTS: 3
– Kızılırmak, A., 1966, Güneş Sistemi, Cilt II, Ege Üni. Matbaası, İzmir
– The Solar System, The Sun, 1953, Ed. by Gerard P. Kuiper, Vol. I, The Univ. of Chicago Press.
– The Solar Spectrum, 1965, Ed. by C. de Jager, D.Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland
– The Sun as a Star, 1981, Ed./Author :Stuart Jordan, NASA SP-450. Monograph Series on Nonthermal Phenomena In Stellar Atmospheres – Peter R. Wilson, 1994, Solar and Stellar Activity Cycles, Eds. R.F. Carcwell, D.N.C. Lin and J.E. Pringle, Cambridge Univ. Press.
– The Atmospheres of the Sun and Stars, 1963, Lawrence H. Aller, The Ronald Press. Comp. New York – Kenneth R. Lang, 1995, Sun, Earth And Sky, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York
– The Sun as a Star, 1997, Roger J. Tayler, Cambridge Univ. Press., Cambridge
– Various Secientific WEB sites on the Sun, Solar Physics and Satellite Observations